This will yield about two quarts or six to seven servings:
4 medium baking potatoes
1 clove fresh garlic,minced fine
2 green onions, small dice
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth(don't use the cubes-too much salt)
1 1/4 cups half and half OR 1 pint heavy cream plus 1/4 cup milk (any kind 2%, whole, etc.
6 ounces reduced fat sour cream(don't use no fat, the flavor is off)
8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded.
4 slices cooked bacon, cooked, cooled, and diced small.
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley and fresh green onions for garnish.
1. Scrub potatoes, wash and prick with fork, then bake in microwave on high about 15 minutes or until knife cuts through easily. You can bake in regular oven at 400 F for 45 to 60 minutes.
2. While potatoes are cooling down, put garlic, green onions,flour, and oil into a dutch oven (large pot) on medium heat and stir constantly for 5 to 6 minutes, or until garlic and onions are cooked through. (don't let garlic burn, it turns very bitter-tasting)
3. Gradually add chicken broth while stirring with a whisk to incorporate all the ingredients.
4.Remove skins off potatoes (save skins for later-you can make potato skins filled with reduced fat cheeses, and onions!), mash half of the potatoes and dice the other half of potatoes and put in with the chicken broth.
5. Add salt and pepper, taste, adjust.
6. Add half and half,sour cream and shredded cheese and mix completely through.
7. Continue cooking for 15 minutes on low/medium heat--DO NOT LET BOIL- stirring occasionally.
8. Pour into bowls and garnish with green onions and fresh chopped parsley.